Saturday 7 March 2015

Welcome to the MTC!

Hola!!!! 

First of all, I would just like to say that I LOVE being a missionary! It's wonderful here at the MTC. 
It's crazy how much Spanish we've been able to learn in such a short period of time! While we still have a long way to go, we already know enough Spanish to have full conversations with native speakers (though it's a struggle to understand each other - we make it work), teach investigators (which we did on day three), bear testimony of the Gospel, and pray. (One of the first things we are taught is how to pray for the gift of tongues in our mission language.)

So, I think my companion summed it up when she said on the first day, "The MTC is like EFY on crack - plus learning a language, minus flirting with boys." I love my companion. She and I both speak French, which is really fun! The only problem is that we both sometimes slip into French accidentally while speaking Spanish, and sometimes we don't notice when the other does it because it still all makes sense to us. I DO notice when she slips up and uses a word in Chinese though...

Me with with my companion Hermana Perdue (glasses) and Hermana McCarty (left).

My whole district is actually super cool. We have four elders and four sisters, and the 8 of us represent 6 different missions. My companion and I are going to Montreal, two elders are going to Spain (they'll actually leave us as soon as they get their visas to go to the Spain MTC), and the other four are going to Nevada, Ohio, California, and Texas. 

The MTC schedule is rigorous. My P day is Saturday, which makes for a nice weekend, but it means that I get five days straight of nothing but classes (which hurts my brain sometimes). Wish me luck! :)


Also, I haven't cried yet. Actually, that's a lie. I cried once when I had an interview with a member of my branch presidency two days ago and he asked me what I wanted to accomplish on my mission. It wasn't a sad cry though. I just get really emotional when I think about how badly I want others to know the God loves them and that they can hope for better things because of the Atonement of Christ. But I did all my crying about leaving a week or two before I actually left, so I think it's out of my system. :) Love you all!

Hermana Shaver



 With Jessie just before she dropped me off at the MTC!

1 comment:

  1. She sounds great, Nicole! Thanks so much or posting. :)

    ReplyDelete