Monday 25 July 2016

Strengths and Weaknesses

Hey everyone!

So I've been thinking about a verse in the Book of Mormon, Ether 12:27. Most of you probably know it; "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

When I first read that verse, I understood it to mean that my weaknesses would be fixed and changed so that in their place I would have strengths - for example, if I ran really slowly before, I could turn to Christ and He would help me run faster. But I've come to realize that while this is true, it is also true that sometimes when we turn to Christ and have faith in Him, rather than change something about me, He shows me ways in which those very things that I thought were "weaknesses" are actually strengths. Like, maybe instead of helping me run faster, He'd help me appreciate that by moving slower I can be more observant and enjoy the beauty around me.

I have no idea where I heard this, but it reminds me of a story about two buckets. One bucket had a hole in the bottom, so every time the man went to draw water, it would leak slowly until it was only half full by the time he got home. But as water leaked from the "weak" barrel, it nourished the flowers growing alongside the path. I guess it's kind of like that. 

I've had the privilege of seeing this promise fulfilled in both ways this week. In the first sense (running faster), we've watched our numbers of lessons taught and progressing investigators skyrocket. Not only did we achieve the standards of excellence this week, we DOUBLED them! Unheard-of!   And in the other sense, I feel like God has been showing me so many reasons why He needs me right where I am because of who I am. For example, early in the week I met a man on the metro who opened up to me and described some challenges he's going through. I've had similar trials so I was able to relate to him and testify powerfully of the Saviour's Atonement. I could tell him that it would help, that I knew it, because I have lived it, I live it, and I will continue to live it. He was touched, and later in the week we taught our first lesson to him, and yesterday he came to church!

So basically, our week was very busy, and we're just loving it! Have a wonderful week!

Sister Shaver 















I got an envelope with a letter thanking me for my missionary service and my flight plans. 
And there was an enclosed tissue for when I cried. Haha!


 what do this milk jug and my name tag have in common? 
(hint: see the expiration date)

No comments:

Post a Comment